Monday, June 18, 2007

First Posting


Okay, Rhoda, you inspired me! Your blog is amazing!

I don't know if I can keep up with this and not let it dominate my time, but I'm going to give it a try.

I just returned last Saturday from three weeks at my cabin in the North Georgia mountains, and I will be leaving this Thursday for a week in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. Why I'm initiating a blog at midnight is a mystery to me. I should be getting some sleep, but here goes . . . .

For starters, why is my blog called Nathan's Uncle? I guess out of all the titles that describe me, good or bad, it is the one that makes me the proudest. Yes, Nathan Todd Hood is the cute little guy in the picture. He came into my life July 18, 2001, and my life has never been the same.
He is the son of my only sister, Carla, and my brother-in-law, Todd. This shot of Nathan, by the way, was taken in my back yard when my family came up to the cabin in Blairsville, Georgia, to visit for a few days the week before last.

Although Nathan will probably be a major focus of this blog, I hope to write about many aspects of my life.
For instance, I love the following things: mountains, waterfalls, dogs, choirs, books, music, CDs, movies, singing, reading, poetry, writing, autumn, travel, sandhill cranes, children, family, friends, hot springs, Florida springs, teaching, rain, log cabins, cracker shacks, timber frames, genealogy, libraries, museums, bookstores, reality shows, documentaries, Gaither Homecoming videos, concerts, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Color Purple, The Amplified Bible, history, castles, cathedrals, cold sheets, gardening, quotes, Oprah, Dr. Phil, the Rambos, Dionne Warwick, Diet Pepsi, eating at Mama's, Fred's Market Restaurant, Outback, Carrabbas, Shells, all things British, Jesus, and lists. This list, by the way, is in no particular order and by no means is it exhaustive.

Later, I'll write a list of things I don't love. I'm sure April will enjoy that one!

Tomorrow I've got to work in my yard a bit, run to Wal-Mart, start packing and making arrangements for my trip, and then I'm taking Nathan to Medieval Times in Kissimmee tomorrow night. So, I guess I will go ahead and close this first entry or posting or whatever you call this thing I'm writing and try to get some sleep.

5 comments:

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

I'm really LOLing at you blaming it all on me! Well, I'm happy you got inspired with my blog. I'm having a lot of fun with it. It does get addicting though....I can assure you of that. I keep thinking I'll run out of things to post about, but so far that hasn't happened. My blog has evolved to what it is today, it was much trial & error getting it to look the way I wanted it.

I love your first post! You will be perfect for writing a blog, since you are very creative in your writing skills anyway. I will save your link & come & check in on you often & Carla, if you do one too, I'll check yours too. It is a great way for families to stay in touch.

Keep on writin' cousin!

Love
Rhoda

apple said...

Ok, Yall are bored! I do not need to blog!! It has taken me too many years to build up walls to keep people OUT of my life, to then turn around & be exposed for all to see!!!LOLOLO I know whatever you do will be perfectly done & entertaining. I love you my brother/cousin. Please dont die on your trip. April
PS> I plan on reading about all the wonderful thing you will say about me.

Nathan's Uncle said...

Thank you, Rhoda and April for leaving comments on my first posting today. So far, Carla and David have been too busy to comment on my tacky little blog. At least now I know who really loves me . . . . April, your comment shows exactly why you SHOULD be blogging, because you are the funniest person I know, my sister/cousin/best friend!

Anonymous said...

Okay, now this is the second time I am trying to leave a comment. The first one was really good and now this one probably won't be. Anyway, since my life is dominated by suitcases right now, my blog is on hold. I am glad that my son is the object of your blog and that he gives you purpose. He is everything you say he is and so much more. I love you very much and I remain your only sister, the others are only substitutes. LOL See you in the morning when me and Bubby take you to the airport.

Unknown said...

Wow! I have only gotten through a small portion of your posts! This is awesome! This will become my early morning reading from now on. I look forward to reading what is going on next in the life of the greatest uncle in the world!

Love ya
Sherry