Thursday, April 3, 2008

Happy 50th, Bishop!

Jim and me, Easter 1977

Today my longtime friend turns 50! Bishop Jim Swilley, or Jimearl to all of his college friends, and I met on the first day of college when we were assigned to be roommates at Southeastern College in Lakeland, Florida, way back in 1976. Jim was 18 and I was 17. We have remained friends ever since. We stay in touch from time to time, and we (almost) always give each other a call on our birthdays. It's easy to remember because our birthdays are exactly six months apart. His birthday is April 3, and my birthday is October 3, so he will always be older than me. He met the half century mark today, so guess what that means for me! Bishop Swilley pastors Church in the Now in Conyers, Georgia, with his lovely wife Debye.

Happy Birthday, Jim!

6 comments:

Nathansma said...

I guess that makes you on the countdown to October 3rd. Hmmm your 50th birthday. Sounds like a reason to come home!

apple said...

HA! if i have a root canal, Carla would come home!!LOL

Unknown said...

Or if the wind blows. lol

Bishop Jim Swilley said...

Hey bud, thanks for the birthday shout-out...50's awesome!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Well, just look a y'all! Another Southeastern story.

Hey, I'll be back down there this next week for a whole week. We are staying over in Clearwater next weekend for a Jazz Fest. Don't know if you want to try to get together at all or not, so maybe I'll give you a call on your cell...while you're in the classroom! LOL

apple said...

OK ALREADY WITH THIS POST!!