Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Jamaica 2.3: YS Falls


Again, I don't feel the need to be redundant. So before you read any further, click here and read my sister's blog post first. She is much more prompt than I am at keeping up with posts, and after reading her post I learned things I didn't know about YS Falls, and that was after I had been there.

In my very first blog post last summer, I mentioned that I hoped to write about many of my favorite things. If you read the post, you will see that waterfalls were the second item in the list. There is something about a waterfall that intrigues me, amazes me, calms me, and practically hypnotizes me. I have visited the incomparable Yguazú Falls in Brazil many times, and I have hiked to several smaller falls in the mountains of North Carolina and Georgia. But I must admit that Jamaica has some of the loveliest waterfalls I have ever seen. The first time I traveled to Jamaica, Todd, Nathan, and I climbed Dunn's River Falls in Ocho Rios. Carla took some great pictures, and the caption to my favorite picture in that post was the best adjective I could conjure—Otherworldly. The waterfalls were so breathtakingly beautiful I felt as if I were on another planet or in Heaven.

YS Falls were less dramatic than Dunn's River Falls, yet still stunning in their unique way. I appreciate Todd and Carla taking me to different locations around the island with each trip. Getting to be with my family in such lovely places is truly a blessing.

Driving to YS Falls on the right, I mean left . . . whatever.

My sweet boy in the back seat.

Be sure not to break rule #5.

On the tractor tram to the falls.

Could a tree be any more gorgeous?

My boy.

The foot of the falls.

A shot using the macro feature of my camera.

I think Heaven will be like this.

Pink ginger.

My boy and me.

Check out the different stages of the palm fruit.

I thought I was taking a picture of Todd, but the camera focused on the lizard and snail. Looks like Disney put them there to frame the shot. If you can't see them well, click on the picture and it will enlarge.

Now you see the hummingbird . . .

. . . now you don't.

The Hoods deep in discussion.

All together.

Getting harnessed up for the zipline.

Tightening the screws.



Carla took this video of me on the zipline. I love hearing Nathan shout, "UNCLE HOWIE!"

Anyone who knows me knows that I am a chicken and do not relish extreme sports. I would never bungee jump. I had seen the zipline on several reality shows, and for some reason I always thought that it was something I could handle and even enjoy without being terrified. I'm glad I did it. It was fun, but too fast to focus much on the view. It would probably be worth it to pay the extra charge for unlimited trips so that you could get used to it and enjoy both the ride and the view.

The final segment of the zipline.

Great subject and composition.

A hummingbird on a heliconia flower.

I wanted to take this vine home with me.

The road back from the falls.

Mama and Carla always say Nathan walks and stands like me. Okay I believe them.

Ackee, Jamaica's national fruit.

1 comment:

Nathansma said...

Great post and pics brother! See you tomorrow.